James 1:27

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

Sunday, November 6, 2011

"Family Night"

When people hear that this is my second time here I quite often get asked what’s been different about my experience this time as opposed to the last time I was here. There are some obvious reasons, like the fact that we’re here for three months instead of only three weeks, but the one thing that has stood out the most is the friendships we have made with the other volunteers here. The last time we were here there were so many volunteers at the time, that we had to stay with one of the Amani staff members, who was a long-term volunteer, serving as their nurse at the time. So, sure, we met and got to know the other volunteers somewhat, but we didn’t live with them; therefore we didn’t really get to know them that well. We all know that when you’re living with someone and sharing the same bedroom and bathroom, that you get to know that person pretty well and on a very different level. We started doing family meals once a week, where all the volunteers gather together and choose a meal to cook together and then sit down and eat as a family, which ends up being tacos most of the time because one of the mamas here makes fabulous homemade tortillas and someone was nice enough to send us a bunch of taco seasoning packets. And with fresh avocados for guacamole, what could go wrong? It’s become an awesome time to fellowship with the other volunteers and we have all become a family here, which makes us feel at home. Coming here, I never thought that I would make friendships I would want to maintain even when I’m home. It’s crazy to think that I have met and become good friends with people from the states, who may not actually live that far away from me, but yet I met them in Africa of all places.

Now one of our fellow volunteers has returned home, but at one time there were six girls in one room and one of them was a 62 year old woman. She was definitely a trooper, having to live with 5 others girls, all in their twenties. But, even so, she became like a grandma to all of us during her two months stay here. We all called her “Jaaja”, which means grandmother in Lugandan.  When she left we were all full of tears and we all felt like a part of us was missing. I think all of us got a little homesick after she left as well because it all made us miss our mothers without her here. With other volunteers starting to leave and knowing that we only have a month left here the reality of leaving is really starting to sink in. It’s a hard concept to grasp as we ponder the thought of leaving these kids that we have loved on for the past two months and have completely fallen in love with. I can’t imagine waking up in the morning or going to bed at night knowing that I can’t tuck my boys into bed or give them a hug and kiss when I want to. It will be a very bittersweet goodbye because I will be happy to see my family and be home for Christmas, but a part of me will always be here. And we’re so very excited to keep in touch with the fellow volunteers we have met here once we’re home and we know that they’re friendships we have made to last for a lifetime because we have shared such an awesome experience with them, in Africa! It’s been such a blessing!

So, please, pray for us as we start preparing our hearts and minds for the reality of leaving in a month. Please, pray for the volunteers, kids, and the mamas as well. There has been a lot of sickness going around here, so pray for health! Thank you for all your support and prayers!




Blessings,

Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment